A continent is a large piece of land (the earth’s crust). A significant part of the continent is above sea level. In most cases, the mainland and part of the world are synonymous with the continent, but according to many people, these are still different concepts. There are seven continents on Earth (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica). However, you can often find other opinions about the amount, and here’s why.
How many continents?
In different traditions, in the educational systems of different countries, it is customary to consider a different number of continents. There is no consensus, hence the periodic confusion with numbers. And when in some sources they talk about the mainland, and in others about part of the world, then everyone also blames these concepts. For example, sometimes North and South America are considered to be the single continent of America, since they are essentially not separated by water (the artificial Panama Canal does not count). This interpretation is popular in Spanish-speaking countries. In the same way, there is an opinion that Europe, Asia and Africa are one continent – Afro-Eurasia – because they form an undivided landmass. And you have certainly heard that Europe and Asia, which have an extremely implicit distinction, are often called Eurasia. Hence the results of the calculation, when there are from four to seven continents on Earth. Nothing is lost, they just count differently. In other words, the problem of understanding is not that, for example, Europe was called a continent or mainland, but in what and why Europe was attributed, with what it was glued together, from whom it was separated. All this is pure convention, and there are several different variants of such conventions.
Area and population of the continents
|Continent||Area, km 2||% of all land on Earth|
|North America||24.71 million||16.59%|
|South America||17.84 million||11.98%|
|Total: 148.94 million|
|Continent||Population||% of the total population of the Earth|
|North America||566 million||7.72%|
|South America||418 million||5.71%|
|Total: 7334 million|
Which is the largest and smallest
Asia is the largest continent. This applies to both area (29%) and population (60%). The smallest in the list is Australia (5.14% and 0.33% respectively). This takes into account only the continent of Australia – without Oceania. Antarctica is missing from the population list because this ice-bound continent is uninhabitable (comfortable) and largely uninhabited.
Agriculture and Fishing by Country
Main Cities in the Europe
U.S. State Overview
There are 50 states in the United States of America. The first state was Delaware, which was admitted to the Union on December 7, 1787. The most recent state to join was Hawaii, which became a state on August 21, 1959. Each state has its own government, with its own set of laws and regulations, and is represented in the federal government by two senators and a number of representatives in the House of Representatives, based on its population.
Economic Sectors by State
The economic sector refers to the various segments of the economy that produce goods and services. There are three main sectors of the economy: the primary sector, which includes agriculture, forestry, fishing, and mining; the secondary sector, which includes manufacturing and construction; and the tertiary sector, which includes services such as retail, healthcare, and education. Each sector plays an important role in the economy, and the relative importance of each sector varies by country and over time. For example, developed countries tend to have a larger tertiary sector, while developing countries often have a larger primary sector.
- East Bernstadt, Kentucky (9/21/2023) - According to timedictionary, East Bernstadt is a small unincorporated community located in Laurel County, Kentucky, United States. Nestled in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, the geography of East Bernstadt is characterized by its rolling hills, lush forests, and scenic… ...
- Economic Sectors of Wyoming (9/17/2023) - Wyoming, known as the "Cowboy State," is not only famous for its stunning landscapes and outdoor adventures but also for its diverse and resilient economy. While the state's economy has historically been heavily reliant on agriculture, Wyoming has made significant… ...
- Economic Sectors of Wisconsin (9/16/2023) - The economy of Wisconsin is diverse and consists of several key sectors that contribute to the state's overall growth and development. These sectors encompass a wide range of industries and play a vital role in shaping Wisconsin's economic landscape. In… ...
- Economic Sectors of West Virginia (9/16/2023) - West Virginia's economy is diverse, with several sectors contributing to its overall growth and development. The state has a rich history in industries such as coal mining, but it has also seen growth in other sectors in recent years. In… ...
- Economic Sectors of Washington (9/16/2023) - Washington state has a diverse economy that encompasses a wide range of sectors. These sectors are vital to the state's economic growth and contribute significantly to its employment opportunities and GDP. Let's take a closer look at the key economic… ...
- Economic Sectors of Virginia (9/16/2023) - Virginia has a diverse and robust economy, with a variety of sectors contributing to its growth and development. These sectors play a crucial role in driving the state's economy and creating job opportunities for its residents. In this article, we… ...
- Economic Sectors of Vermont (9/16/2023) - Vermont is a small state located in the northeastern region of the United States, known for its scenic beauty, maple syrup production, and dairy farming. The state economy is diverse, with various sectors contributing to its growth and development. In… ...
- Economic Sectors of Utah (9/16/2023) - Utah, located in the western United States, has a diverse and thriving economy that is supported by several key sectors. These sectors contribute to the state's economic growth, job creation, and overall prosperity. In this article, we will explore the… ...
- Economic Sectors of Texas (9/16/2023) - The economy of Texas is one of the largest and most diverse in the United States. It is often referred to as the "Texas Miracle" due to its resilience and ability to weather economic downturns. The state's economy is driven… ...
- Economic Sectors of Tennessee (9/16/2023) - Tennessee, located in the southeastern United States, is known for its diverse economy that encompasses various sectors. These sectors contribute to the state's overall economic growth and provide employment opportunities for its residents. In this article, we will explore the… ...