A continent is a large piece of land (the earth’s crust). A significant part of the continent is above sea level. In most cases, the mainland and part of the world are synonymous with the continent, but according to many people, these are still different concepts. There are seven continents on Earth (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica). However, you can often find other opinions about the amount, and here’s why.
How many continents?
In different traditions, in the educational systems of different countries, it is customary to consider a different number of continents. There is no consensus, hence the periodic confusion with numbers. And when in some sources they talk about the mainland, and in others about part of the world, then everyone also blames these concepts. For example, sometimes North and South America are considered to be the single continent of America, since they are essentially not separated by water (the artificial Panama Canal does not count). This interpretation is popular in Spanish-speaking countries. In the same way, there is an opinion that Europe, Asia and Africa are one continent – Afro-Eurasia – because they form an undivided landmass. And you have certainly heard that Europe and Asia, which have an extremely implicit distinction, are often called Eurasia. Hence the results of the calculation, when there are from four to seven continents on Earth. Nothing is lost, they just count differently. In other words, the problem of understanding is not that, for example, Europe was called a continent or mainland, but in what and why Europe was attributed, with what it was glued together, from whom it was separated. All this is pure convention, and there are several different variants of such conventions.
Area and population of the continents
|Continent||Area, km 2||% of all land on Earth|
|North America||24.71 million||16.59%|
|South America||17.84 million||11.98%|
|Total: 148.94 million|
|Continent||Population||% of the total population of the Earth|
|North America||566 million||7.72%|
|South America||418 million||5.71%|
|Total: 7334 million|
Which is the largest and smallest
Asia is the largest continent. This applies to both area (29%) and population (60%). The smallest in the list is Australia (5.14% and 0.33% respectively). This takes into account only the continent of Australia – without Oceania. Antarctica is missing from the population list because this ice-bound continent is uninhabitable (comfortable) and largely uninhabited.
Agriculture and Fishing by Country
Main Cities in the Europe
U.S. State Overview
- Shopping and Entertainment in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (11/24/2022) - Shopping and shops Most of the souvenir stalls crowd around the popular attractions of Ulaanbaatar. The quality of products here often leaves much to be desired, and the prices are exorbitantly high, and bargaining is not accepted. More benign prices… ...
- Sights of Bordeaux, France (11/17/2022) - Bordeaux is the largest and most important city in the French department of Gironde. It is also the capital of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region, which is quite popular among Dutch tourists. The beautiful old town from the world famous wine region… ...
- Wyoming Overview (11/14/2022) - According to deluxesurveillance, Wyoming is a lesser known state in the US. Although popular among Americans themselves, not many foreign travelers have discovered this amazing part of America yet! Wyoming is located in the northern United States. It borders Montana… ...
- Washington Overview (11/13/2022) - Along the coast of Washington are the San Juans. According to deluxesurveillance, this archipelago is cut off from the 'Pacific' by the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island. There are approximately 170 islands, some of which fall under the protected San… ...
- Utah Geography and History (11/12/2022) - Utah is a state where nature rules. The vast majority of the more than 2.5 million inhabitants inhabit the regions of Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah. Centuries ago, the Ute Indian tribe lived here, which literally means 'people… ...
- South Dakota Overview (11/11/2022) - Northeast of Wyoming is the somewhat smaller state of South Dakota. Like North Dakota, this state owes its name to the Lakota Indians who lived here. The state is also known as Mount Rushmore state. According to deluxesurveillance, South Dakota… ...
- South Carolina Geography and History (11/10/2022) - You get a real Southern Experience in the beautiful state of South Carolina. This state is often mentioned in the same breath as adventure and beauty. A combination of these two words is a promise for your South Carolina vacation.… ...
- Sights of Winterberg, Germany (11/10/2022) - The municipality of Winterberg is located in the district of Hoogsauerland. Winterberg is mainly known as a winter sports resort, where mainly Dutch and Germans hope to be able to stand on their skis during the winter sports season. Because… ...
- Oregon Overview (11/9/2022) - According to deluxesurveillance, Oregon is marked by its dynamic landscape. From east to west, north to south, you will encounter different geological landscapes everywhere. In the south, this region borders on high-altitude deserts. Many relics from prehistoric times have been… ...
- Montana Overview (11/8/2022) - According to deluxesurveillance, the Northwest region of Montana borders Canada to the north and Idaho to the west. Below you will find some of the nicest and most interesting places for visitors. Flathead Lake Flathead Lake is located in Montana… ...