A continent is a large piece of land (the earth’s crust). A significant part of the continent is above sea level. In most cases, the mainland and part of the world are synonymous with the continent, but according to many people, these are still different concepts. There are seven continents on Earth (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica). However, you can often find other opinions about the amount, and here’s why.
How many continents?
In different traditions, in the educational systems of different countries, it is customary to consider a different number of continents. There is no consensus, hence the periodic confusion with numbers. And when in some sources they talk about the mainland, and in others about part of the world, then everyone also blames these concepts. For example, sometimes North and South America are considered to be the single continent of America, since they are essentially not separated by water (the artificial Panama Canal does not count). This interpretation is popular in Spanish-speaking countries. In the same way, there is an opinion that Europe, Asia and Africa are one continent – Afro-Eurasia – because they form an undivided landmass. And you have certainly heard that Europe and Asia, which have an extremely implicit distinction, are often called Eurasia. Hence the results of the calculation, when there are from four to seven continents on Earth. Nothing is lost, they just count differently. In other words, the problem of understanding is not that, for example, Europe was called a continent or mainland, but in what and why Europe was attributed, with what it was glued together, from whom it was separated. All this is pure convention, and there are several different variants of such conventions.
Area and population of the continents
|Continent||Area, km 2||% of all land on Earth|
|North America||24.71 million||16.59%|
|South America||17.84 million||11.98%|
|Total: 148.94 million|
|Continent||Population||% of the total population of the Earth|
|North America||566 million||7.72%|
|South America||418 million||5.71%|
|Total: 7334 million|
Which is the largest and smallest
Asia is the largest continent. This applies to both area (29%) and population (60%). The smallest in the list is Australia (5.14% and 0.33% respectively). This takes into account only the continent of Australia – without Oceania. Antarctica is missing from the population list because this ice-bound continent is uninhabitable (comfortable) and largely uninhabited.
Agriculture and Fishing by Country
Main Cities in the Europe
U.S. State Overview
- Miami Beach, Florida (12/9/2022) - Miami Beach: Known as the "American Riviera" or "Hollywood of Latin America," Miami Beach is a visual feast of pastels and whimsical details. The offshore island has become a byword for beach life and night life. The flagship is the… ...
- Atlanta, Georgia Information (12/8/2022) - Atlanta was founded in 1837 as the terminus of two railroad lines. Ten years later it received city rights, but remained only a small center of freight traffic until the beginning of the civil war. As an important traffic junction,… ...
- Idaho Information (12/7/2022) - As one of the most sparsely populated states, Idaho shares a lot with Alaska: there are still some regions that are largely unexplored due to their remoteness. In addition to the loneliness, Idaho also has the nickname “Gem of the… ...
- New York History (12/6/2022) - Colonial times Lower Manhattan in 1660, then part of New Amsterdam. View of "Nieuw Amsterdam orte Nue New Iorx opt' t.Eylant Man", about 1665. The lower Hudson River, where New York is located, was inhabited by about 5,000 Lenape Indians… ...
- New York Culture (12/5/2022) - Architecture The buildings most associated with New York are the skyscrapers. As early as the 19th century, the urban development changed from traditional European low-rise buildings to high-rise buildings in the business districts. In August 2008, New York City had… ...
- How to Get to Nuremberg, Germany (12/4/2022) - There are no direct flights to Nuremberg from Russia. Turkish Airlines carry passengers from Moscow Vnukovo with a transfer in Istanbul, and Lufthansa from Domodedovo via Frankfurt am Main or Munich. The flight takes at least 6 hours, including the… ...
- Yemen History (12/3/2022) - The history of Yemen dates back to the 8th century BC. characterized above all by the trade in incense and the kingdoms founded on it. The most significant of these was Saba with its capital Marib. Already long before the… ...
- New York State (12/2/2022) - Driving Around In And Around New York The state of New York is located in the Northeast of America. Nicknamed "The Empire State," it borders the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Although it is often thought… ...
- 10 Places of Interest in Alabama (12/1/2022) - Alabama, which is on the Gulf of Mexico, borders the state of Tennessee to the north, Mississippi to the west , Georgia to the east, and Florida to the south . You can also combine a vacation in Alabama with… ...
- Trivandrum, India (11/30/2022) - Trivandrum (which once bore the proud name of Thiruvananthapuram) is the capital of the South Indian state of Kerala. It is worth coming here just to find out the correct translation of Thiruvananthapuram, which from the Sanskrit Thiru-anantha-puram means "The… ...