A continent is a large piece of land (the earth’s crust). A significant part of the continent is above sea level. In most cases, the mainland and part of the world are synonymous with the continent, but according to many people, these are still different concepts. There are seven continents on Earth (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica). However, you can often find other opinions about the amount, and here’s why.
How many continents?
In different traditions, in the educational systems of different countries, it is customary to consider a different number of continents. There is no consensus, hence the periodic confusion with numbers. And when in some sources they talk about the mainland, and in others about part of the world, then everyone also blames these concepts. For example, sometimes North and South America are considered to be the single continent of America, since they are essentially not separated by water (the artificial Panama Canal does not count). This interpretation is popular in Spanish-speaking countries. In the same way, there is an opinion that Europe, Asia and Africa are one continent – Afro-Eurasia – because they form an undivided landmass. And you have certainly heard that Europe and Asia, which have an extremely implicit distinction, are often called Eurasia. Hence the results of the calculation, when there are from four to seven continents on Earth. Nothing is lost, they just count differently. In other words, the problem of understanding is not that, for example, Europe was called a continent or mainland, but in what and why Europe was attributed, with what it was glued together, from whom it was separated. All this is pure convention, and there are several different variants of such conventions.
Area and population of the continents
|Continent||Area, km 2||% of all land on Earth|
|North America||24.71 million||16.59%|
|South America||17.84 million||11.98%|
|Total: 148.94 million|
|Continent||Population||% of the total population of the Earth|
|North America||566 million||7.72%|
|South America||418 million||5.71%|
|Total: 7334 million|
Which is the largest and smallest
Asia is the largest continent. This applies to both area (29%) and population (60%). The smallest in the list is Australia (5.14% and 0.33% respectively). This takes into account only the continent of Australia – without Oceania. Antarctica is missing from the population list because this ice-bound continent is uninhabitable (comfortable) and largely uninhabited.
Agriculture and Fishing by Country
Main Cities in the Europe
U.S. State Overview
- Oman Mountains, Rivers and Lakes (3/14/2023) - According to Baglib, Oman is a country located in the Middle East on the Arabian Peninsula. It has a total land area of 309,500 square kilometers and is bordered by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and the Gulf… ...
- Oman Government and Political Parties (3/13/2023) - According to politicsezine, Oman is a country located in the Middle East, on the southeastern end of the Arabian Peninsula. It is bordered by the United Arab Emirates to the northwest, Saudi Arabia to the west, and Yemen to the… ...
- Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois (3/12/2023) - Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois is a small rural village located in Randolph County, along the Mississippi River. The population of the village is approximately 700 people and it is known for its French colonial architecture and history. The geography of… ...
- Monticello, Indiana (3/11/2023) - Monticello, Indiana is a small town located in White County, Indiana. The population of Monticello is approximately 5,000 people. The geography of the town is mostly flat with some rolling hills and a few small valleys. The climate in Monticello… ...
- La Grange, North Carolina (3/2/2023) - According to topschoolsintheusa, La Grange, North Carolina is a small town with a population of just over 1,000 people. It is located in Lenoir County and is situated on the banks of the Neuse River. The area enjoys a mild… ...
- Abbeville, South Carolina (2/23/2023) - According to thembaprograms, Abbeville, South Carolina is a small town located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is situated on the banks of the Savannah River and is known for its charming downtown area, historical sites, and… ...
- Akron, Indiana (2/16/2023) - According to thembaprograms, Akron, Indiana is a small town located in the northeast corner of Fulton County. It is situated on the banks of the Tippecanoe River, near the Indiana-Michigan state line. With a population of just over 800 people,… ...
- Luxor, Egypt (2/9/2023) - According to A2ZGOV, Luxor is a real gem of Egypt. A small town on the right bank of the Nile, located 500 km south of Cairo, was once the famous capital of ancient Egypt. This is the world center of… ...
- Komodo, Indonesia (2/2/2023) - For most of us, Indonesia, first of all, is associated with Bali - a fashionable resort with unearthly beauty of nature. But there are still a lot of amazing islands in this state, famous for their unique flora and fauna. Check… ...
- Google AdSense Tips (1/27/2023) - If you are starter, you'd better visit Google AdSense site to get a comprehensive understanding of AdSense optimization tips. It is located here: https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/static.py?page=tips.html The following is a summary of most important tips to get best performance of your Google… ...