According to top-medical-schools, Williamston, South Carolina is a small city located in the Pee Dee region of South Carolina. The city is situated on the banks of the Great Pee Dee River, which lends to its beautiful scenery. The climate in Williamston is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s in winter to mid-80s in summer. The city receives an average of 48 inches of rain annually.
The history of Williamston dates back to 1707 when it was first settled by British colonists from Virginia. Since then, it has been home to a variety of cultures, including African Americans and Native Americans. In recent years, Williamston has seen a resurgence due to its proximity to larger cities such as Charleston and Myrtle Beach.
Politics in Williamston are fairly conservative; most residents tend to vote Republican. However, there are also progressive elements within the city which have helped shape its identity over time.
The economy of Williamston is largely based on agriculture and tourism; there are many farms in the area as well as several tourist attractions such as golf courses and historical sites. Additionally, there are several small businesses operating within the city limits which provide jobs for local residents.
Williamston is home to two public schools – an elementary school and a middle school – as well as several private schools for those seeking a more specialized education experience.
The most notable landmark in Williamston is Stoney Creek Park which features walking trails, picnic areas and playgrounds for visitors to enjoy year-round. There are also several museums located throughout town that showcase local artifacts from various time periods throughout history such as the Waddell Museum or Younts House Museum & Gardens.
Population: 3,791. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,878 (+2.3% change)
Males: 1,813 (47.8%), Females: 1,978 (52.2%)
Zip code: 29697
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $31,458
Median house value: $68,300
Races in Williamston:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.2%)
- Black (17.7%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (22.6%), Irish (10.5%), English (10.3%), German (6.7%), French (4.7%), Italian (2.0%).
Elevation: 826 feet
Land area: 3.6 square miles
Williamston, South Carolina is a small town of around 4,000 people located in Anderson County. The population of Williamston is primarily Caucasian, with African-Americans making up around 18% of the population. The median age in Williamston is 35 years old, and many of the residents are lifelong residents who have lived there for generations. The town also has a large number of retirees who have moved to the area for its peaceful atmosphere and slower pace of life.
The town also has a diverse economic base, with many local businesses that employ both locals and outsiders alike. The largest industry in Williamston is agriculture and forestry, followed by manufacturing and tourism. There are also many small businesses located in the area, such as restaurants, shops, banks, and professional services that provide jobs for local residents. Many people who live in Williamston commute to nearby cities such as Greenville or Anderson to work or shop.
Williamston has a thriving arts community with several galleries and performance venues throughout the town where locals can enjoy music, art shows, plays, lectures and more throughout the year. The city also hosts many festivals such as the Watermelon Festival which celebrates local watermelons each summer or the Christmas Parade which occurs each December. All these events bring people together from all corners of Anderson County to celebrate their heritage and culture together as one community.
For population 25 years and over in Williamston
- High school or higher: 66.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Williamston town
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 53.4%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 11.5%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -324 (-7.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Williamston:
- ANDERSON AREA MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; ANDERSON, SC)
- GREENVILLE HOSPITAL CENTER (about 14 miles; GREENVILLE, SC)
- ST FRANCIS HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; GREENVILLE, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Williamston:
- DONALDSON CENTER (about 12 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GYH)
- ANDERSON RGNL (about 18 miles; ANDERSON, SC; Abbreviation: AND)
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 26 miles; GREER, SC; Abbreviation: GSP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Williamston:
- GREENVILLE DOWNTOWN (about 18 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GMU)
- PICKENS COUNTY (about 20 miles; PICKENS, SC; Abbreviation: LQK)
- OCONEE COUNTY REGIONAL (about 29 miles; CLEMSON, SC; Abbreviation: CEU)
Amtrak station near Williamston:
- 18 miles: GREENVILLE (1120 W. WASHINGTON ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Williamston:
- GREENVILLE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 18 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 6,157)
- BOB JONES UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,577)
- TRI-COUNTY TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 20 miles; PENDLETON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,343)
- FURMAN UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,915)
- CLEMSON UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; CLEMSON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 15,962)
- LANDER UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,429)
- PIEDMONT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 39 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
Public high schools in Williamston:
- PALMETTO HIGH (Students: 832; Location: 804 N. HAMILTON ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CAREER/TECH CTR ANDERSON 1 & 2 (Location: 702 BELTON HIGHWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Williamston:
- PALMETTO MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 747; Location: 803 N. HAMILTON ST.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PALMETTO ELEMENTARY (Students: 660; Location: 1 ROBERTS DRIVE; Grades: PK – 05)
- CEDAR GROVE ELEMENTARY (Students: 493; Location: 107 MELVIN LANE; Grades: KG – 05)
- WILLIAMSTON CHILD DEVELOPMENT CTR (Location: 1A ROBERTS BOULEVARD; Grades: PK – KG)