According to top-medical-schools, Ridgeway, Iowa is located in the Midwest region of the United States. The city is situated in the rolling hills of southwestern Iowa, just east of the Missouri River, and has an area of about 7 square miles. Ridgeway has a humid continental climate with hot summers, cold winters and moderate precipitation throughout the year. The average annual temperature is around 50°F (10°C).
Ridgeway was founded in 1836 by settlers who were looking for a safe place to live away from conflicts on the eastern part of the state. Since then, it has grown into a thriving community with a population of over 8200 people.
The city government is divided into three branches: legislative, executive and judicial. It operates under a mayor-council form of government with a mayor elected at-large and seven council members elected from seven wards within Ridgeway’s boundaries. The city council meets regularly to discuss issues facing Ridgeway and to make decisions for betterment of its citizens.
The economy in Ridgeway is mainly driven by agriculture as well as light industry such as manufacturing and transportation services. There are also several small businesses located in the downtown area that provide jobs for many locals.
Ridgeway has several schools that provide quality education for its citizens including two public elementary schools, one public middle school, one public high school, two private schools and one college campus offering undergraduate degrees in various disciplines.
The most popular landmarks located within Ridgeway are the historic Ridgeway courthouse which was built in 1848 and still stands today; the Cedar Street Bridge which crosses over the Missouri River; and Sam’s Amusement Park which offers rides for kids of all ages during summer months. Other attractions include various museums such as those dedicated to local history or art galleries showcasing local artwork, as well as numerous parks perfect for picnics or taking leisurely strolls along trails winding through nature’s beauty.
Population: 293. Estimated population in July 2020: 291 (-0.7% change)
Males: 140 (47.8%), Females: 153 (52.2%)
Zip code: 52165
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $33,750
Median house value: $55,800
Races in Ridgeway:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.3%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
Ancestries: Norwegian (49.8%), German (46.1%), Irish (20.1%), Czech (12.6%), English (4.8%), Dutch (3.8%).
Elevation: 1208 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Ridgeway, Iowa is a small town located in the heart of the Midwest. It is home to approximately 1,500 people who live and work in the area. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with a smaller percentage of African Americans and other ethnicities. The median age of Ridgeway residents is 37 years old, making it a relatively young town compared to other communities in Iowa. Most people living in Ridgeway work in local businesses or commute to nearby cities for employment opportunities. The town has an agricultural focus with many family farms still operating throughout the area. Additionally, Ridgeway has a vibrant downtown filled with locally owned shops and restaurants that attract both locals and visitors alike. Education is important to the community as well; Ridgeway has its own school district which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. In addition to this, there are several universities within easy driving distance for those looking for higher education opportunities. Overall, Ridgeway is a great place to live with its small-town charm combined with big city amenities close by!
For population 25 years and over in Ridgeway
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ridgeway city
- Never married: 22.5%
- Now married: 59.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 9.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +5 (+1.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ridgeway:
- REGIONAL HEALTH SERVICES OF IOWA (about 10 miles; CRESCO, IA)
- WINNESHIEK COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; DECORAH, IA)
- PALMER LUTHERAN HEALTH CENTER (about 25 miles; WEST UNION, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ridgeway:
- ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL (about 54 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; Abbreviation: RST)
- WATERLOO MUNI (about 59 miles; WATERLOO, IA; Abbreviation: ALO)
- LA CROSSE MUNI (about 65 miles; LA CROSSE, WI; Abbreviation: LSE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ridgeway:
- ELLEN CHURCH FIELD (about 10 miles; CRESCO, IA; Abbreviation: CJJ)
- DECORAH MUNI (about 18 miles; DECORAH, IA; Abbreviation: DEH)
- GEORGE L SCOTT MUNI (about 26 miles; WEST UNION, IA; Abbreviation: 3Y2)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ridgeway:
- NORTHEAST IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CALMAR (about 10 miles; CALMAR, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,393)
- LUTHER COLLEGE (about 16 miles; DECORAH, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,566)
- UPPER IOWA UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; FAYETTE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,173)
- WINONA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; WINONA, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,568)
- SAINT MARY’S UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA (about 56 miles; WINONA, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,969)
- ROCHESTER COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 57 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,368)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA (about 62 miles; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 12,524)
Public primary/middle school in Ridgeway:
- RIDGEWAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 115; Location: 435 COUNTY ST.; Grades: KG – 06)