Monticello, Indiana is a small town located in White County, Indiana. The population of Monticello is approximately 5,000 people. The geography of the town is mostly flat with some rolling hills and a few small valleys. The climate in Monticello is typical of the Midwest with hot summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Indiana.
Monticello has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded as a trading post on the Wabash River. It was later incorporated as a city in 1837. Since then, it has grown to become an important center for agriculture and industry in the region.
Politically speaking, Monticello is a largely Republican town though there are also some Democrats living in the area as well. In terms of economy, Monticello relies heavily on tourism and agriculture with its main industries being farming, manufacturing and retail trade.
When it comes to schools, Monticello is served by three public school districts: Twin Lakes School Corporation (TLS), White County Central School Corporation (WCCSC) and Metropolitan School District of Warren Township (MSDWT). There are also several private schools located within the city limits including St. Joseph Catholic School and Faith Christian Academy.
The landmarks of Monticello are quite remarkable considering its size. These include historic sites like Fort Ouiatenon Park which was once an important French trading post; various museums such as the White County Historical Museum; along with parks like Anderson Memorial Park which features several walking trails and other recreational activities for locals to enjoy all year round.
Population: 5,723. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,462 (-4.6% change)
Males: 2,727 (47.6%), Females: 2,996 (52.4%)
Zip code: 47960
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $35,537
Median house value: $79,000
Races in Monticello:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.9%)
- Hispanic (11.2%)
- Other race (6.0%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.9%), United States (11.6%), English (10.3%), Irish (7.0%), Italian (3.3%), French (2.2%).
Elevation: 682 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Monticello, Indiana is a small town located in White County, with a population of 5,062 people. It is a quiet and friendly community with many amenities such as parks, shopping centers, and restaurants. The median household income is $43,582, which is slightly lower than the national average of $54,462. The cost of living in Monticello is relatively low compared to other towns in the area. The median home value is around $112,000 and the median rent price for a two-bedroom apartment is around $700 per month. Utilities are also fairly inexpensive in Monticello as the average cost for electricity and gas are both around $100 per month. Groceries are also reasonably priced with an average cost of about $200 for a month’s worth of groceries for a family of four. Overall the living costs in Monticello are quite affordable making it an attractive place to live for those looking to settle down or just visit for a while.
For population 25 years and over in Monticello
- High school or higher: 76.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Monticello city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 15.4%
- Divorced: 11.9%
6.5% Foreign born (5.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +376 (+7.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Monticello:
- WHITE COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (1101 O’CONNOR BOULEVARD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Monticello:
- PULASKI MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; WINAMAC, IN)
- WABASH VALLEY HOSPITAL INC (about 23 miles; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN)
- LAFAYETTE HOME HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; LAFAYETTE, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Monticello:
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; LAFAYETTE, IN; Abbreviation: LAF)
- GRISSOM ARB (about 44 miles; PERU, IN; Abbreviation: GUS)
- PORTER COUNTY MUNI (about 51 miles; VALPARAISO, IN; Abbreviation: VPZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Monticello:
- WHITE COUNTY (about 4 miles; MONTICELLO, IN; Abbreviation: MCX)
- BOYER FLIGHT PARK (about 12 miles; BURNETTSVILLE, IN; Abbreviation: 7W7)
- DELPHI MUNI (about 17 miles; DELPHI, IN; Abbreviation: 1I9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Monticello:
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 25 miles; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 36,407)
- VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; VALPARAISO, IN; Full-time enrollment: 3,376)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-NORTH CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 57 miles; WESTVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,500)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTH BEND (about 67 miles; SOUTH BEND, IN; Full-time enrollment: 4,725)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-NORTHWEST (about 68 miles; GARY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,432)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-NORTHWEST (about 69 miles; GARY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 3,208)
- UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME (about 75 miles; NOTRE DAME, IN; Full-time enrollment: 10,633)
Public high school in Monticello:
- TWIN LAKES SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 794; Location: 300 S 3RD ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Monticello:
- ROOSEVELT MIDDLE SCH (Students: 653; Location: 721 W BROADWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MEADOWLAWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 423; Location: 715 W OHIO ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- OAKLAWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: 402 E SOUTH ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- WOODLAWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 283; Location: 300 S BEACH DR; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Monticello:
- MONTICELLO-UNION TWP PL (Operating income: $388,286; Location: 321 W BROADWAY ST; 54,250 books; 2,400 audio materials; 2,991 video materials; 120 serial subscriptions)