Filing and Paying Taxes

Earned Income Tax Credit
If you file a Form 1040 Schedule C, you may be eligible to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit.

An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a federal tax identification number, is used to identify tax reports to the IRS.

Employment Taxes for Small Businesses
If you have employees, you are responsible for several federal, state, and local taxes. As an employer, you must withhold Federal income tax withholding, social security and Medicare taxes, and Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) taxes.

Estimated Taxes
Federal income tax is a pay-as-you-go tax. You must pay the tax as you earn or receive income during the year. There are two ways to pay as you go: withholding and estimated taxes.

Filing Late and/or Paying Late: Information You Should Know
Before you decide not to file your tax return on time or not pay all of your taxes when they are due, consider this.

Reporting Information Returns
You business may be required to file information returns to report certain types of payments made during the year.

Self-Employment Taxes
The self-employment tax is a social security and Medicare tax for individuals who work for themselves.

Small Business Tax Calendar
This 12-month calendar is filled with useful information on general business taxes, electronic filing and paying options, business publications and forms, and common tax filing dates. Each page highlights different tax issues and tips that may be relevant to small business owners.

Where to File Addresses
Where to file addresses for businesses, tax professionals and individual taxpayers for use during calendar year 2005.

Which Forms Must I File?
This section provides information on which forms to file based on your business structure. It also gives you the due date for the returns.