Do You Need an EIN?

You will need an EIN if you answer “Yes” to any of the following questions. For your convenience, clicking on the “Yes” option will take you directly to How to Apply for an EIN.

Additionally, if you provide health insurance for your employees, you may need a National Standard Employer Identifer (NSEI) for your electronic health transactions. To determine if you need an NSEI, refer to the Department of Health and Human Services’ NSEI frequently asked questions.

Do you have employees? YES NO
Do you operate your business as a corporation or a partnership? YES NO
Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms? YES NO
Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien? YES NO
Do you have a Keogh plan? YES NO
Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

  • Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
  • Estates
  • Real estate mortgage investment conduits
  • Non-profit organizations
  • Farmers’ cooperatives
  • Plan administrators